Swan Lake Hydro Facility
The Swan Lake Hydroelectric Facility is located on Revillagigedo Island at the head of Carroll Inlet, about 22 miles northeast of the City of Ketchikan. Primary facilities include:
- reservoir with a surface of 1,500 acres at normal maximum elevation and usuable storage capacity of 86,000 acre-feet between elevations 330’ and 271.5’
- 174’ high concrete thin arch dam (430’ long at its crest)
- uncontrolled ogee spillway section, 100’ long with crest elevation of 330’
- 2,217’ long, 11’ diameter power tunnel
- powerhouse with two Francis turbine generating units having an installed capacity of 25 megawatts (MW)
- 13.8/115-kV substation located adjacent to the powerhouse
- port facilities 1000’ north of the powerhouse, a staging area adjacent to the port facilities, and access roads from the port facilities to the powerhouse and dam
- 115 kV transmission line extending from the powerhouse substation 30.5 miles to the existing S.W. Bailey Substation.
Near the end of project construction, the State of Alaska, under the department of the Alaska Energy Authority, assumed ownership of the project from Ketchikan and began commercial operation in June 1984. Ownership transferred from the State to the Four Dam Pool Power Agency (FDPPA) in 2002, and SEAPA assumed ownership when the FDPPA was restructured in 2009.